Learn About Energy and Conservation!
Xcel Energy created Energy Classroom to provide interactive educational materials about energy and conservation for teachers and students across its national market. It offers video stories, games, worksheets, experiments, and “behind the scenes” tours of power plants and wind farms.
Energy Classroom was based on research with teachers and content specialists, who assessed each stage of development. The site has been periodically updated over almost a 15-year period.
- UX/UI Designer
- Creative Director
- Content Development
KEY BUSINESS GOALS
- Reach teachers and students within Xcel Energy’s national market.
- Lower costs compared to previous print distribution.
- Leverage existing Xcel Energy video.
- Base activities on research done with teachers.
- Design education for grades 3 to 5.
- Support teachers with classroom materials.
KEY USER GOALS
- Explore energy topics through video stories.
- Dig deeper into each topic with supporting photos and infographics.
- Identify with school-age video “hosts”.
- Increased Xcel Energy’s educational audience.
- Reduced distribution costs over previous print mailing.
- Praised by teachers and students.
- Won multiple awards.
- Tours and infographics created for this project have been used as educational materials in other areas of Xcel Energy.